How to grow old in style with Zespri Green kiwifruit
40 is the new 30. 50 is the new 40. You’re as old as you feel and, in our opinion, every candle on the birthday cake is worth celebrating. Turning back the clock isn’t an option, and why would you want to when you’re feeling relaxed and confident in your own healthy body? Which is where Zespri Green kiwifruit comes in: adding a couple to your daily diet leaves you lighter and livelier than ever.
Why does age affect digestive health?
Issues with the digestive system may not be the first health-related topic we think about when someone mentions getting older. Women might associate it with menopausal symptoms and everyone expects a few aches and pains. But it is also very common for people to find their digestive health not running quite as smoothly as when they were younger 1,2,3.
How can diet and lifestyle help improve digestive health?
If you’re suffering from digestive health problems, such as constipation or irritable bowel syndrome, then you’ll be looking for ways to ease the discomfort. We’d always recommend talking to a medical professional but, unsurprisingly, your daily diet and lifestyle can also play a big role. Eating foods high in fibre, drinking plenty of water, and getting regular exercise are all positive ways to help your digestion function the best it can.
Zespri Green kiwifruit: a healthier and happier gut4,5,6
As a fibre-rich food, Zespri Green kiwifruit are a natural and tasty way to maintain good digestive health. What’s more, kiwifruit contain an important enzyme: actinidin. It helps to break down food protein faster, which can remove those uncomfortable bloated feelings.
So why not make 2 kiwifruit a day part of your daily diet?
Of course, as we mature we also learn to enjoy the finer things in life. Which is why a healthy diet should never be anything but absolutely delicious! Bring a touch of sophistication to your next dinner by whipping up a batch of Zespri Green Aubergine dip. The combination of kiwifruit, garlic, herbs, and nuts is sure to please the most discerning of palettes...
- Triadafilopoulos G, et al. Bowel dysfunction in postmenopausal women. Women Health. 1998;27:55-66.
- Menopause affects digestive health. Available from: http://menopausemission.com/menopause-affects-digestive-health (accessed 25.11.2016)
- Olafsdottir LB, et al. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012;2012:534204.
- Rush EC, Patel M, Plank LD, Ferguson LR: Kiwifruit promotes laxation in the elderly. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2002;11:164-168.
- Chan AO, Leung G, Tong T, Wong NY: Increasing dietary fiber intake in terms of kiwifruit improves constipation in Chinese patients. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:4771-4775.
- Kaur L, et al. Actinidin enhances protein digestion in the small intestine as assessed using in an in vitro digestion model. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:5068–73