Replace processed snacks with Zespri Green kiwifruit for healthier and happier teens!
There has been an exponential rise in the number of overweight and obese teens worldwide, typically resulting from a poor diet and a lack of exercise.1
Unfortunately, being overweight or obese is much more serious than just how your teen looks.
Luckily, weight gain and the risks it carries are reversible. One of the best steps you can take towards your teen’s better health is to simply ditch ‘empty calorie’ processed foods altogether and transition to real, whole foods.
Empty-calorie foods vs. nutrient-dense foods
Most empty-calorie foods are highly processed foods that contain added fat and sugar, and few nutrients. Cakes, cookies, fries, crisps, sugary drinks and ice cream are all examples of empty-calorie foods.
Frequent consumption of these types of foods usually causes weight gain, as the amount of calories eaten often exceed the amount of calories burned for energy. These extra calories are stored in the body as fat, and over time, result in weight gain and obesity. This can have a negative effect on health. 2 As well as contributing to weight gain, the refined sugars found in cookies, candy and other treats.2
Nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains, provide fewer calories but are excellent sources of nutrients that are required to maintain health, for example fiber. Fruits and vegetables also contain antioxidants and phytochemicals that may help reduce the incidence of heart disease, diabetes and cancer.3
Zespri Green kiwifruit: the perfect replacement for empty calorie snacks!
Zespri Green kiwifruit: a lot of nutrition in a small package!
For teens with a sweet tooth, it can be hard to stay away from harmful sugary snacks and treats – especially when they can’t reach for a healthy, delicious alternative.
Luckily, with one of the highest nutritional values of all fruits4, Zespri Green kiwifruit make the perfect good-for-you snack that also tastes amazing. Each Zespri Green kiwifruit is six times more nutritious than apples, is packed with twice the amount of vitamin C than an orange and contains almost as much potassium as a banana! 4,5
So next time your teen reaches for a snack or something sweet for dessert, hand them a Zespri Green kiwifruit!
- World Health Organization. Obesity and overweight factsheet. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/ (accessed 1 October 2016)
- World Health Organization. Healthy diet factsheet. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/ (accessed 1 October 2016)
- Increasing fruit and vegetable consumption to reduce the risk of noncommunicable diseases. Available at: http://www.who.int/elena/bbc/fruit_vegetables_ncds/en/ (accessed 1 October 2016)
- New Zealand Ministry of Health. New Zealand FOODfiles 2014 Version 01.
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28 (2015).