Would you know that kiwifruit is a nutritional powerhouse for older adults?
Everyone needs to get their fair share of nutrients every day to ensure they stay healthy, fit and strong. But as we age, a good nutrition becomes even more important. This is because the body becomes less efficient at absorbing some key nutrients as we get older, and the number of calories we need begins to decline due to a decrease in metabolism.1
In other words, it can be harder to get all the necessary nutrients for good health, so every calorie we consume must be packed with nutrition to get the same result!
Eating well as you age
Eating a varied diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables is the best way to ensure an adequate supply of all the essential vitamins and minerals the body needs without exceeding energy requirements.1 Unfortunately, however, like most of the population, older people generally do not eat enough fresh fruit.2
Zespri Green kiwifruit delivers an amazingly healthy nutrient bomb to directly benefit the body and maintain body function, making it one of the healthiest fruits available.3 It also contains a wide variety of phytonutrients, and enzymes with known digestive benefits.3 What’s more, its delicious taste and soft flesh make it the perfect option for seniors!
5 reasons seniors should eat Zespri Green kiwifruit every day
Kiwifruit is bursting with vitamin C
The high nutrient density of Zespri Green kiwifruit is driven primarily by its vitamin C content – that’s two times more vitamin C than oranges!3,4 Vitamin C plays an important role in the functioning of the immune system, and getting your daily amount will also help to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
Kiwifruit is high in fibre
Older adults often don’t get enough fibre, which is a natural aid to digestion.1 Zespri Green kiwifruit are rich in fibre, 3 and studies have shown that regular consumption of kiwifruit helps prevent constipation in elderly people.5
Kiwifruit is loaded with antioxidants
Zespri Green kiwifruit contains a wide range of antioxidants, such as vitamin C.6 Antioxidants help defend the body’s cells against free radicals – damaging substances caused by pollution, cigarette smoke and other toxins which play a key role in the aging process.
Kiwifruit is a natural source of folate
Older individuals often show low levels of folic acid, a key nutrient that contributes to normal blood formation.1 Since cooking destroys folate, eating fresh Zespri Green kiwifruit (which contains 38 mcg of folate per 100 g)3 are a great way to top up your supplies of this important B vitamin!
Kiwifruit is a good source of potassium
Zespri Green kiwifruit contain almost as much potassium as a banana,3 a crucial mineral that helps maintain normal function of muscles and the nervous system. It also contributes to the maintenance of normal blood pressure, which is especially important for the elderly.7
- British Nutrition Foundation. Older adults. Available at: https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritionscience/life/older-adults.html?showall=1 (accessed 1 October 2016)
- National Institute of Health: National Institute on Aging. Fruits. Available at: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/whats-your-plate/fruits (accessed 1 October 2016)
- New Zealand Ministry of Health. New Zealand FOODfiles 2014 Version 01. Available from: foodcomposition.co.nz/ (accessed 29 September 2016)
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28 (2015)
- Rush EC, et al. Kiwifruit promotes laxation in the elderly. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2002;11:164–8
- Boland M, Moughan PJ. Advances in food and nutrition research. Nutritional benefits of kiwifruit. Waltham, MA: Elsevier Inc; 2013
- SF Gate. Potassium Amount for the Elderly. Available at: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/potassium-amount-elderly-7550.html (accessed 21 February 2016)