Beat your mid-week fatigue with Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
Can’t wake up and function in the morning without your daily coffee? The problem might not just be your hectic schedule and lack of sleep. If you don’t get enough fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet, you could be suffering from a lack of vitamin C – an important antioxidant for your body.1
The right foods can go a long way toward managing fatigue. If you're always low on energy, try increasing the amount of vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables in your diet, such as Zespri SunGold kiwifruit. Vitamin C helps activate a number of enzymes in the body that enhance the levels of metabolic energy and different neurochemicals in the brain.1 This means taking in more your vitamin C could decrease feelings of fatigue and increase physical and mental energy.
Kiwifruit are an exceptional source of vitamin C. Each Zespri SunGold kiwifruit provides you with 161 mg of vitamin C – that’s more than three times the amount found in oranges.2 In fact, research has shown that this high vitamin C content can help decrease feelings of fatigue and increase physical and mental energy,3 making them a fantastic way to kick-start your day!
What’s more, as shown in some studies, having your vitamin C levels topped up daily may provide other benefits, some of which include:1
- Keeping the immune system strong
- Increasing collagen formation, which is essential for healthy skin, teeth and bones.
Did you know?
- Your body cannot make or even store vitamin C – therefore, it needs to be obtained through the diet on a daily basis1
- The current recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C in Europe is 90 mg a day for men and 80 mg for women,4 but many experts say that the advisable dose should be 100 mg a day
- Most people do not consume enough fresh fruit and vegetables to maintain sufficient vitamin C levels
- Just one Zespri SunGold kiwifruit a day provides you with your daily vitamin C requirement!2
5 quick and easy ways to add Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit to your day
Before you go to work or on the run – just slice it in half and scoop out the inside with a spoon
Mixed in with breakfast cereal or on top of a bagel
In a breakfast smoothie
At lunchtime in a salad
Before exercising or going to the gym – just peel and eat!
- National Institutes of Health. Vitamin C. Available at: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/ (accessed 4 October 2016)
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28 (2015).
- Carr AC, Bozonet SM, Pullar JM, Vissers MC. Mood improvement in young adult males following supplementation of yellow kiwifruit, a high-vitamin C food. Journal of nutritional science 2013; 2:e24
- European Food Safety Authority. Scientific Opinion on Dietary Reference Values for vitamin C. EFSA Journal 2013;11:3418