SunGold kiwifruit and vanilla panna cotta
The unique flavour of Zespri Sungold kiwifruit can turn a classic dessert into a masterpiece. Easier to make than you might think, try this creamy, Italian-style panna cotta, with a vitamin-rich twist.
For the kiwifruit jelly:
- 6 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
- 1 lemon
- 100 ml of mineral water
- 3 leaves of gelatine
For the panna cotta:
- 4-5 leaves of gelatine
- 450 ml of whipping cream
- 100 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
Extra Zespri Sungold kiwifruit to serve
- For the Sungold Jelly:
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop the Zespri kiwifruit, place in a saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
- Blend until smooth, add the drained gelatine and a little lemon juice and pour into the glasses placed on a tray.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours until set.
- For the panna cotta:
- split the vanilla pod, add to the cream, and heat to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat
- In a separate bowl, soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes, then drain and melt them in the hot cream.
- Let everything cool, remove the vanilla pod and pour the mixture gently over the kiwifruit jelly.
- Place the finished glasses in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Serve cold with the rest of the kiwifruit chopped on top.
Tip: It must be eaten immediately and not left to stand.
If you’ve never tried a yellow or golden kiwifruit before, you’re in for a pleasant surprise. If you’re a fan of the traditional green variety, then we think you’ll love Zespri SunGold, which is a sweeter, slightly tropical version!