Avocado and Zespri Green kiwifruit dip with focaccia
Back to school can mean getting back some of the healthy lifestyle habits that have gone by the wayside during the holidays. So how about getting the ball rolling with this kiwifruit and avocado dip with focaccia that the whole family will love? Children will enjoy making this fun yet nutritious recipe and devour it either at home or at school. Mission accomplished.
Recipe rich in fibre with high vitamin C content. Good source of potassium and natural source of folate.Recipe appropriate for Nutrition per serving
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 1 vine tomato
- 1/4 onion
- juice of a lime
- 1 sprig of fresh coriander
- 1 Serrano chilli or pinch of spicy ground paprika
For the focaccia:
- 300 g strong bread flour
- 1 packet of easy-blend dried yeast
- 100 ml warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fresh rosemary and salt crystals
- Start by preparing the dough: Use a food processor with a dough hook or your hands to combine all the ingredients and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic, then allow to rest in bowl covered in a tea towel for 1 hour. It should double in size
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and shape into a rectangle. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and let rest 30 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with salt crystals and rosemary and bake in a preheated oven at 220º C for 15-18 minutes. Drizzle oil on top and cut into strips.
- While the focaccia is baking, peel and dice the Zespri kiwifruit. Finely dice the onion and tomato. Dice the coriander and chilli.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the stone. With a soup spoon, remove the flesh of the avocado and put in a large bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth. Season with salt, add lime juice and stir.
- Add onion, tomato, kiwifruit, coriander and chilli to taste. Check for seasoning and correct if necessary. Combine well, cover with cling film and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
Tip: You can also serve the dip with tortilla chips, breadsticks or rice-crackers.