Aubergine dip with Zespri Green kiwifruit, garlic, herbs and nuts
Dips are always a fun, simple solution for a snack or starter. This one is also healthy thanks to the veggies and kiwifruit, packed with flavour and nutrients. Combine the crudités with strips of bread, Mexican tortillas or pitta.
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 1/4 pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts
- 2 carrots
- ½ broccoli
- Cut the aubergine in half and roast, cut side down, in a preheated oven at 200º C for 40-45 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel and dice the Zespri kiwifruit. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Chop the mint and parsley.
- Scrape the roasted aubergine flesh from the skin with a spoon, discard the skin and place the flesh into the blender. Add the olive oil, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth and serve in a bowl. Sprinkle with the kiwifruit, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts and chopped herbs. Serve with carrot sticks, broccoli florets and crackers.
Tip: If you don't like raw broccoli, you can blanch it in boiling water for 2 minutes before breaking down into florets. Then drain and rinse in cold water.