Homemade Zespri Green kiwifruit conserve
Kiwifruit is a very versatile fruit that can also be used to make delicious jams and conserves. Select firm fruit, peel and chop into pieces to suit the texture you like for your homemade jam.
- 1 kg of Zespri Green kiwifruit, peeled
- 15 g of fresh ginger
- 250 g sugar
- 1/2 a large lemon
- 1 teaspoon of agar (optional)
- Roughly chop the Zespri kiwifruit and place in a pan. Then add the peeled and chopped ginger, sprinkle with the lemon juice and cover with the sugar. Mix well, cover with a cloth and let stand for at least two hours or, better still, overnight.
- Bring to a rolling boil and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove any froth with a skimmer. Meanwhile, sterilise the lids and jars by boiling for 5 minutes. Drain.
- To test for a set, place a small amount of jam on a cold saucer. Push with your finger and, if the surface starts to wrinkle, then it will set. If not, simmer for another 5 minutes and repeat
- For a thicker jam, add agar at the end of cooking. Pour into the jars while they are still hot, filling them to the top. Clean the thread, close tightly and turn upside down for 10 minutes. Store in a cool dark place.
- Serve with whole-grain toast.