Couscous with roasted squash and Zespri Green kiwifruit
Our couscous and kiwifruit salad is a tasty, healthy lunchbreak option. Colourful, nutritious & packed with flavour thanks to tangy Zespri Green kiwifruit and some warm spices. Chickpeas and pumpkin seeds provide good quality vegetable protein plus kiwifruit are rich in fibre, which helps promote good digestive and intestinal health. You can prepare it ahead of time, in layers so that the ingredients don't get soggy, and mix before eating.
- 200 g butternut squash
- 150 g couscous
- 1 green pepper
- 2 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 60 g cooked chick peas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Peel the squash, scoop out the seeds and cut the flesh into cubes.
- Place the cubes on an oven tray, cover with aluminium foil and roast until soft (depending on the size of the cubes, it should take roughly 30 minutes).
- Remove from the oven, take off the foil and leave to go cold
- While the squash is cooking, place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour 300 ml of boiling water over the top. Cover with a clean cloth and let rest 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, wash the green pepper and cut it into thin strips. Divide equally between two containers with the cooked, drained chick peas as the next layer
- Next add the roasted squash cubes and couscous once cold.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon and a little salt. Pour this dressing over the top of both containers.
- Finally, peel and chop the kiwifruit, and place on top with the pumpkin seeds.
- Keep refrigerated until required.