Custard slice with Zespri kiwifruit
This delicious dessert is suitable for everyone, because apart from the fact kiwifruit has a high mineral and vitamin content, they also help keep blood sugar levels under control.
This recipe is rich in fibre with a high vitamin C content and is a good source of potassium and a natural source of folate. If you have diabetes or are overweight, this recipe contents stevia. Additionally, if you’re keeping an eye on your calorie intake, use filo pastry instead of puff pastry.Recipe appropriate for Nutrition per serving
- 1 sheet of fresh or frozen puff pastry or filo pastry
- 2 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
- 2 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (optional)
For the crème pâtissière:
- 1 teaspoon stevia
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml milk
- 25 g cornflour
- 1 vanilla pod
- For the crème pâtissière: Pour the milk into a pan, open the vanilla pod lengthwise, adding it to the milk and bring to boil. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and stevia together and add the cornflour. Remove the milk from the heat, take out the vanilla pod then slowly add the egg yolks, stirring the mixture with the whisk. Return the cream to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the sheet of puff pastry onto an oven tray lined with baking parchment and cut it into 12 equal pieces. Prick the surface with a fork. Preheat the oven to 190 ºC. Flatten the squares using another oven tray or fireproof glass mould as weights and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave the pastry squares to cool and spread a thin layer of crème pâtissière over the top, covering them with another pastry square. Cover with pieces of peeled Zespri kiwifruit.
Poor blood sugar control is linked to obesity and associated with chronic diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease