Zespri Green kiwifruit and banana cake with a hint of lemon
If you feel like making a tasty, slightly healthier cake to the traditional versions, try this recipe. Replacing butter with a little olive oil, it includes nutritious ingredients such as chia seeds and kiwifruit that give a refreshing and original touch.
- 3 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 150 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 40 g chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 50 g caster sugar
- 150 g banana (approx. 1 banana)
- The grated skin of 1 lemon
- The juice of 1/2 lemon
- 150 ml evaporated milk
- 40 ml mild olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) loose bottomed cake tin with baking paper
- Put the flour in a bowl along with the baking powder, the chia seeds and a pinch of salt.
- Separately, blend the banana pulp, evaporated milk, oil, lemon juice and grated skin.
- Using a hand mixer, in a separate bowl beat the eggs, egg whites and sugar until frothy and pale.
- Pour the egg mixture and banana mixture into the dry ingredients, folding everything together gently with a metal spoon to keep in as much air as possible
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for around 35 minutes, until the cake is firm to the touch and shrinking back a little from the sides. Test near the end of the cooking time by inserting a clean skewer. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is cooked. If there is raw mixture on the skewer, return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool on a wire rack for a few minutes in the tin and then turn out and remove the baking paper.
- While still warm, top with peeled, sliced kiwifruit and sprinkle with icing sugar.