— Main dishes
Chickpea and millet beanburger with avocado, Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
Vegan eating can be a lifestyle statement, a healthy choice or simply a tasty change from a meat-based diet. These protein-rich, chickpea burgers with a zingy salsa on the side really deliver on flavour and we’re sure your whole family will enjoy them. Millet grain is available at health-food shops or you can substitute with quinoa or couscous.
- 150 g cooked chickpeas, drained if canned
- 150 g millet grain (or substitute with quinoa)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 seed rolls
For the salsa:
- ½ avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sweetcorn
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Cook the millet grains as per the packet instructions, drain and reserve. Crush or mash the chickpeas with the back of a fork. Mix together the cooked millet, crushed chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture together with wet hands and shape into four even-sized patties. Flatten & lightly dust with flour.
- Heat a few drops of olive oil in a non-stick pan. Cook the patties in batches for 3 minutes per side until golden brown and heated through.
- For the salsa: Mix together the Zespri kiwifruit, avocado, spring onions and corn in a bowl with the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately inside rolls and garnish with mixed greens and the salsa.
Summer is in full swing. But whilst this is great weather for BBQs and hanging out in the parks or garden, the change in temperatures might also require us to think a little more carefully about how we store our food.