— Main dishes
Grilled mackerel fillets with a salad of Zespri Green kiwifruit
When time is short or you’re watching your spending, it’s good to know you can still prepare something healthy and nutritious. This simple dish with plenty of bold flavours uses inexpensive ingredients like mackerel fillets and red cabbage. Featuring vitamin-rich kiwifruit and taking no time to put together, it’s a great way to boost your natural defences and revitalise your energy.
- 4 boneless mackerel fillets
- 3 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 1 small spring onion, trimmed
- 60 g red cabbage
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 sprigs of mint
- Halve the Zespri kiwifruit and scoop out little balls with a melon baller. Clean the spring onion and cut into thin rings. Place these in a bowl with the kiwifruit and add salt, pepper, lemon juice, mint leaves and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well, cover and set aside.
- Finely shred the cabbage and sauté in a pan for 4-5 minutes with the remaining oil and crushed garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the mackerel fillets with salt and pepper, brush with oil and grill 2-3 minutes each side, depending on the thickness.
- Serve the mackerel fillets garnished with sautéed cabbage and topped with the kiwifruit and spring onion mixture. Perfect with some baby new potatoes
Let’s be honest: whilst we are all grateful for every extra candle on that birthday cake, sometimes we wish the mirror was a little kinder in the mornings.