— Main dishes
Lamb and Zespri SunGold kiwifruit tagine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1½ tsp of smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1kg lamb, diced
- 6 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, peeled and pulped
- 3 – 4 cups beef stock
- ¼ tsp saffron
- 3 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, washed, halved and diced with skin on
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Slivered almonds
- 1 – 2 tbsp butter
- 2½ cups couscous
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using a cast iron bottomed casserole dish or a frying pan with lid, add oil and heat on element.
- Add onion and sweat for 3 – 5 minutes until soft. Add the chilli, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and ground ginger for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add diced lamb, evenly brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add saffron to the Zespri Gold kiwifruit pulp and pour over lamb. Add enough stock so that the liquid just covers the lamb.
- Bring to the boil and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Cover with lid and transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- In a frying pan melt butter on medium to high heat. Add the diced Zespri Gold kiwifruit and cook until slightly caramelized. Remove Zespri Gold kiwifruit and set aside.
- In same frying pan cook the couscous as per packet instructions.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the lamb, along with ¾ of the cooked Zespri Gold kiwifruit. Stir and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve by layering the Tagine over the couscous, and garnish with the remaining ¼ cooked Zespri Gold kiwifruit, chopped coriander and slivered almonds.