Scones with yoghurt and Zespri Green kiwifruit
If you find you can’t resist that mid-morning or afternoon biscuit with your cuppa, here's a simple, naturally sweet snack that is low in fat and light on added sugar. Prepare the night before and have something nourishing to pop in a lunchbox the next day. Snacking between meals will fill you with vitality!Recipe appropriate for Nutrition per serving
- 50 g rolled oats
- 120 g whole-grain spelt flour
- 120 g Greek yoghurt
- 45 ml honey
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 60 g sultanas or dried blueberries
- 30 g butter
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 4 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C, with both the top and bottom elements on. Line an oven tray with baking parchment.
- Put the oats into a large bowl. Add the yoghurt, honey, sultanas or blueberries, vanilla and milk.
- Separately, combine the flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Cut the cold butter into small cubes and rub this into the dry ingredients.
- Now add the oat and yoghurt mixture and combine everything with your hands until you have a soft dough.
- Place the dough onto the oven tray and shape into a round form with greased hands or a silicone spatula.
- Beat the egg gently and brush onto the surface.
- With a knife, mark the surface of the dough, dividing it into 8 wedges, but not cutting all the way through.
- Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until the top is golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool at room temperature.
- Just before serving, slice open and spoon in the Greek yoghurt and half a Zespri kiwifruit cut into thin slices.