Green bean, kiwifruit with Ligeoise Salad
This typical Belgian salad is tasty and full of good nutrition. Kiwifruit gives this starter a touch of colour and a hint of the exotic. If you particularly like fruit, you can add apple or pear for extra crunch. Very easy to put together, it's perfect for your lunch-break or to enjoy when out and about.
- 400 g baby new potatoes
- 300 g green beans, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 60 g lean smoked bacon
- 1 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Wash the potatoes, removing any blemishes and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain and allow to cool.
- Place the trimmed, chopped beans in the same saucepan with just enough water to cover. Add a pinch of salt, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Drain and rinse in a bowl of ice water.
- Finely slice the bacon and onion. Warm one tablespoon of oil in a pan and sauté the onion. When the onion has softened and gone transparent, add the bacon pieces and cook until crisp.
- Now thickly slice the potatoes and put them in a bowl with the beans, bacon and onion. Then add the Zespri kiwifruit, peeled and diced.
- Prepare a simple vinaigrette by whisking together the rest of the oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add this to the salad just before eating.
We all want to look and feel our best when we’re on holiday. It's the perfect time of the year to try out new experiences, see new places and experiment with new foods.