Sugar-free energy bar
Many commercially produced energy bars are very high in added sugar. Our homemade versions are packed full of natural sweetness and energy-dense protein making them a healthy and delicious, portable snack. Once you’ve got the hang of making them, experiment with different types of nuts and spices to vary the flavour. With no added or refined sugar, these bars are suitable for anyone trying to control their sugar intake.
In this recipe, a ration means a bar.
- 1 Zespri Green kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 100 g chopped almonds
- 55 g walnut pieces
- 30 g dried cranberries
- 20 g pumpkin seeds
- 20 g sunflower seeds
- 35 g dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 15 g butter
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of liquid stevia
- Preheat the oven to 160 ºC.
- Beat the egg whites. Mix in the nuts, dried fruit, seeds, chocolate, spices and stevia and mix well. Add the softened butter and mix.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a rectangular tray approx. 33 cm x 23 cm lined with baking paper and press down firmly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool down completely, turn out, and cut into 8 bars using a sharp knife.
More and more health institutions and medical professionals are telling us that we need to cut down on our sugar intake, and be on the lookout for hidden sources of sugar in our daily diet.